OPPO DV-970HD Firmware
Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Update Instructions
Version: MVer: 05.00.01.07 Batch: 4A-0111
Category: Minor Update
Release Date: February 12, 2007
Warning: Although DIY firmware upgrade is an easy and usually trouble-free process, an improper or failed firmware upgrade could render the DVD player unusable. Choose DIY only if you are aware of and accept the risks of performing DVD player firmware upgrade. Otherwise, you can contact OPPO at firstname.lastname@example.org or OPPO authorized resellers to send the player back for the upgrade.
Before You Start
- Follow the instructions EXACTLY; Don't press the "Open/Close" key until the player reboots itself. The entire process takes between 2-3 minutes. Stay focused and be patient during this process.
- Make sure the AC power connection is secured; use an Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) from your PC if necessary (in areas where AC is not stable). Do not interrupt power on the DVD player during the update process.
- The firmware will have factory default settings that may be different from the settings you currently have. You may want to note your current settings as you will have to reconfigure them after installing this firmware.
- View the release note below.
- Download the firmware from http://www.oppodigital.com/dv970hd/download/DV-970HD-4A-0111.iso
- Burn a CD from the downloaded ISO image file. Be sure to burn the CD as an ISO image file, not a data file. The CD should contain a 935.BIN file if you burned it successfully. Please consult your CD burning software's help/instruction manual for more information on how to do this. Some general instruction for common CD burning software is listed below.
- Turn on your TV display and the OPPO player.
- Open the player tray and insert the firmware CD, and then close the tray.
- As soon as the CD is loaded, you will see "Press Play To Start" on your TV display. Press the PLAY key on the remote or the player once.
- The TV display shows "File Copying" and then "UPGRADING"
- In about 8 seconds, the CD will be ejected. Remove the CD quickly; DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE. What follows is the process when the player will reboot itself.
- DO NOT PRESS ANY BUTTONS NOR ATTEMPT TO CLOSE THE TRAY NOR UNPLUG THE POWER DURING THE REMAINING UPGRADE PROCESS.
- After approximately 1 - 2 minutes, the player reboots itself and closes the tray automatically to complete the process. The update process is completed when the front panel of the DVD player shows "No Disc".
- After updating the firmware, the TV display may lost synchronization with the player and show no picture. It is recommended that you turn off the DVD player, unplug it from the AC power, wait a few seconds and then plug back the AC power.
- Turn on the DVD player and adjust the settings if necessary.
- With the tray ejected, press the "OSD" button on the remote control to verify the firmware version.
- Congratulations! You have just completed the firmware upgrade.
The following new features and improvements are included in this version:
1. Super Audio CD (SACD) Gapless Playback
There are a small number of SACD discs on the market that are mastered to play continuously without pause between tracks. The DV-970HD with previous firmware versions plays SACD with a silent gap of about 1 second between each track. With this firmware version, the gap between tracks is eliminated.
2. Super Audio CD (SACD) Track Number Display
With previous firmware version, the front panel display of SACD track number indicates the selected/highlighted track in the user interface, but not the currently playing track. This firmware version makes the front panel display show the currently playing track number. Users who do not turn on their TV while listening to SACD can now check the track number by looking at the front panel display.
General instructions on working with ISO image files
Note: These are general instructions on how to burn the firmware CD with common CD burning software. Please consult your CD burning software's help/instruction manual for more detail.
- In Nero Burning Rom version 6 or 7 , go to the ‘Recorder > Burn Image…' menu and select the ISO image you downloaded.
- In Nero Burning ROM version 5 or earlier, just go to Nero Burning ROMs ´File > Burn Image' option and select the ISO image you downloaded.
- In Nero Express select the option for 'Disc Image or Saved Project' to select the ISO image file you downloaded and burn to CD.
- In Easy CD Creator , go to 'File > Record CD from CD Image' and select the ISO image you downloaded.